Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Snow girl from Colleen Moody's Doll Class



As many of you know, Colleen Moody is an EXCEPTIONAL Doll artist who resides in Northern California near San Francisco. At the beginning of September I had the amazing opportunity to take one of her doll sculpting classes. It was held over a weekend at her home. Her studio is to die for! I am so amazed at her talent and so overjoyed to have been able to attend. I met some wonderful women that weekend and learned how to sculpt these dolls. It was actually not as difficult as I anticipated, although I have a LOOONNGGG way to go! LOL



The class consisted of making two dolls in shadow boxes. We made the shadow boxes from old frames, then sculpted our dolls. One was a winter snow girl and the other was a Halloween Pumpkin. My Pumpkin is almost ready for reveal, not yet....But my snowgirl is making her debut!



My frame was brown stained with gold leafing, but it didn't look good with my girl, so I took some of Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint, her newest color, French Linen and painted my frame. I antiqued it with the dark stain. I liked the color, but it just didn't pop. So I took the Antique white chalk paint and dry brushed it on over the French Linen! It was exactly what it needed. I love it!

Colleen sells her wonderful creations on her blog The Doll Atelier, she posts in advance when she puts them up, so if you are interested you gotta be really quick cause they go fast!

Colleen is an anazing artist and if you ever get the chance to take one of her classes, they are totally worth it! On Sunday, she took several of us to the Alameda Antique Mart. It was Huge! It was Amazing! It was Wonderful! Thanks so much Colleen, for sharing a bit of your time with us! Becs

6 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

She's wonderful, Becky!! I wish I had been able to take her class. Hopefully she won't be taking a very long break from teaching!

xxo
Marsha

Kathy said...

Well, your doll is amazing and it sounds as if you had a wonderful class. Awesome. I love the shadowbox as well, looks like a wonderful treat, all by itself...I would love to learn that...lol.

Jean Knee said...

Hi Becky,
I'm one of your partners for Cassandra's ornament swap.
That is such an awesome doll.
Looking forward to swapping with you! Jeannie
www.eyecraft.blogspot.com

Laurie said...

You did great on that doll! I love how she's dressed! You were in my old stomping grounds in Alameda; we moved here (to CO) from Fremont. Memories! It's been 10 years already! I hope you had fun at the market!

Shirley said...

Your doll is so cute and I love the finished look that you gave your shadow box. It is amazing when you can attend classes with a very talented teacher. Will look forward to seeing your other doll. Your Missouri Friend.

JoAnne said...

Becs, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this!! I am absolutely charmed!
xo
JoAnne